Waiting – Not Waiting Around – Tip #157
When you have a family member absent or deployed, there is a temptation to put things on hold until they are back, wait for calls, check your email obsessively, listen for any media or news reports about the deployment and generally forget/ignore that there is a whole world out there.
Your absent family member is such a large part of your world and when they are gone, it can feel like there is a part of you missing too. We could spend our whole lives waiting – in line for groceries, tickets, bathrooms, gas, to get in or out of something, etc. When it comes to military life and waiting for a loved one to return, make sure you are just waiting and not waiting around.
There is a difference and you need to grow, learn, change and experience life too – because while they have been away, that is what they have been doing. Your waiting doesn’t have to involve drastic changes or grand gestures just try to shake it up a little every day and I truly believe that the waiting will be a little easier.
* Make a list of things you have always wanted to do
* Check your list each week and try to do one or two things
* Try cooking new or different types of food/recipes
* Drive different ways to work
* Go to different exercise, dance or yoga class each week
* Rent movies that you know your absent family member wouldn’t want to see anyway
* Make a list of people that you haven’t connected with in a while and then get in touch
* Read a book or magazine cover to cover that you have never read before but always wanted to
* Make a care package for yourself and then save it for a day when you really need to feel pampered
* Learn about support services in your area BEFORE they get home – you may never need them but it will be comforting to know they are there
* Get a base or community map and mark of the places you haven’t been but thought might be interesting and then go to them
* Visit your local MFRC, Readiness Centre or support centre and find out what other families are doing and what activities they have for you too – you will be amazed