We are looking for writers and photographers who are related to a military member – serving or retired and serving and retired military members.
We suggest that freelancers familiarize themselves with the content of our magazine before sending us a query. Check out Ubiquitous Sections before pitching an idea. Keep in mind that the purpose of Ubiquitous is to empower, educate and enhance military families’ lives; hence every article that we publish needs to have at least one of these components - if not all.
We assign all of our stories, so please do not send us any unsolicited work. If you are just breaking into the world of writing we suggest that you start with the sections Been There ... Done That and Military Brats – if you are one. These sections give our readers the opportunity to share stories about how being related to a military member has affected their lives – let’s keep it positive!
Note: that we do not publish fiction, personal essays or poetry at this time.
Submitting your story idea:
• Send us a brief summary of your proposed article. Include the topic of your article, how many words and your sources.
• When emailing your story please put article submission in subject line.
• When sending story idea please include samples of previously published work.
• Please do not contact us – we will get back to you.
• When your idea has been accepted we will contact you to discuss your assignment, deadline and pay rate.
• All queries need to be e-mailed, faxed or sent via snail-mail. If you are sending your query snail-mail please include a self-addressed stamped envelope. We do not accept queries over the phone – so please do not call us with an idea. Put your idea in writing and send it to us.
When writing your article:
• Your story may be returned to you for alterations – this is a normal request. Please do as we ask.
• If your story changes direction while you are writing it please consult with us well before your deadline.
• Do not give your sources a preview of the manuscript. The copy you share with them may not be the final version that will be printed in our magazine, as your story has not been edited. If your source places a condition regarding the need to see your final copy please discuss it with us.
• If you have any questions please contact us and remember your deadline.
Relationships, homes, recipes and pets are the focus of our Home Base section. Readers looking for ideas and solutions to running a “tight ship” need not look any further.
Travelling on this road of life there are many “waypoints” – stops along the way to get to your destination. Check out our Waypoints section for ideas when it comes to your career and travel destinations.
Keeping the Balance
When it comes to life it is important to ensure that all areas of it are balanced – body, mind and soul. Keeping the Balance features articles that give you guidance and direction to do just that.
Line of Duty
The military lifestyle has no age. Whether our readers are retired members, members who are retiring, current members serving or our reader grew up in the military lifestyle – the Line of Duty section highlights how the CF changes lives.
The Military 411 section has ideas, picks and tips from our readers and our team that are designed to keep military families informed, simplify their lives and share their experiences with other families.
The CF Neighbourhood is an interactive and informative area where we welcome all of those who feel they are a part of the CF Neighbourhood. Participate and lead discussions, submit community events and tell us about worthwhile organizations which support our troops.